Thursday, May 17, 2007

Jinxed!!

Train commute is a big part of city life in Mumbai, and the people in it are always in a hurry – to get to work, to get home, to get anywhere are everywhere. The train system is one of the best in India and offers the commuters speed and efficiency.

While I was in big city, throughout my working life, I traveled in local trains. I used to enjoy travel standing near and close to the window (when I did not get a seat), as this position affords certain privileges in the one hour train journey. One is certain that no one will overtake you, as there is no space between you and the window. People in Mumbai are known for their hurry and that is one reason they try to overtake anyone or anything which comes, their way. More over, there is a consolation that while you could not get the window seat in the train, at least you are traveling standing close to the window. In the overcrowded local trains you need to have some consolation as otherwise you may lose your sanity. But on the flip side, you are often asked by people to put their bags and luggage on the rack at the top of the window – so you are constantly putting things away or pulling things out for them.

After my surgery, I am not able to lift my right hand over my head independently; I had willingly given up the pleasure of traveling near the window, because of the sheer habit of people boarding the train and rushing right behind you. They will nudge you with their bag and baggage expecting you to keep it in the overhead rack. And if you happen to decline, they will kill you with their eyes and the body language, which will definitely spoil the rest of your day.

On shifting my residence from Mumbai to Bangalore, I bought a scooter for my travel in and around Bangalore. I opted for a lighter variety of scooter as I could not afford any weight on my right shoulder.

It gave me immense pleasure and freedom as far as my traveling requirements are concerned. I could go to any place at any time at my sweet will and I enjoyed this new found freedom. Compared to the over crowded local trains which I was forced to take for my travel, the scooter journey was a sheer pleasure. I even avoided the morning and evening rush hour traffic, as I had no muster to sign at the fixed hour. I was enjoying my scooter travel in the city till an eventful travel, last year!

I visited a place in the outskirts of the city and my scooter got a puncture! I was rather new to the place and had a tough time getting the puncture attended to, having pushed the scooter with my weak right hand over a considerable length of dirt mud road. Second time also, my scooter developed a puncture, after I had the occasion to visit this place. This time though my host came to my help, having called the mechanic home and getting the wheel removed at his workshop and putting it back, after inflating it. Today again I had to visit this place and the scooter completely went dead on the road, on my way back. I had to push it on the road till I located a repair shop, where it was found that scooter needs complete overhaul, even though I had the scooter serviced just a week back at its authorized dealer’s.

I am trying to determine whether the place is indeed jinxed for me or does my mind playing a trick? I am now retired and the need to spend money on items which are essential to life with my reduced income, has anything to do with my thinking? I fervently hope it is the later, as I enjoy my retired life and I know for sure, no place is jinxed to a person who loves each day which is the gift of God in this beautiful city.

1 comments:

K 3 said...

I see your point about feeling 'jinxed' about certain things in life!

I remember a couple of times, I would forget certain things at school - an umbrella or a sweater - that I no longer need at the end of the day. It would be when my mom reminded me that I would think of going back. But I never found those items. On the other hand, my best friend always found anything and everything she ever lost! To this day, I think she was lucky and I was jinxed!!!