As I had started to work very early in my life, I always had the feeling that I missed out on certain things in life. This was one of the reasons I decided to take voluntary retirement from work. I wanted to recreate those days of youthful exploits. But I found that though my mind is willing, body is not in that condition. However, I still do not regret the fact that I traded about 7 years of working life for pure simple fun.
Today I have absolutely no worry about time. I go for long morning walks and spend hours together reading -- newspapers, magazines, and novels. I spent time surfing and I don’t have to keep any fixed time or schedule. I often go on trips to places of interest. I had even a foreign vacation which we enjoyed with our son-in law, daughter and grandson. Those six months was pure joy. During all these activities, the only big concern is to find time to manage my money and some investments.
I have now purchased a bicycle and every morning I go for a ride. Though my legs started grumbling, I did not give up and now I am able to ride for one hour or so in the morning and again in the evening. I remember I had a cycle when I was young which I used to ride to watch movies in the town. Riding back to the house after the movie, during moonlight, was sheer fun. When there was no moonlight, it was little risky. Once the cycle fell into a ditch, and we had to push it rest of the way, as both the wheels got punctured.
It is still fun to ride the cycle again. But in the city where I live, roads are crowded with traffic even in the early morning and other drivers do not give much attention to a poor cycle traveler. This I find it very painful.
Monday, May 07, 2007
Bike rides
Reminiscences by
Edappal
at
5:05 PM
Labels: Transportation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment