My routine in the big city continued without any surprises. With the monotonous nature of work at office and the routine I had set for myself, I started to dream for something to happen, anything which will break it!
I had not given up my habit of replying to advertisements in the newspapers. But now I cut down and replied to only those posts, where I felt I stood a better chance. I also advertised myself in the situation wanted columns of the newspaper and got a good response for my first insertion. There was an offer from another transport company for the post of Stenographer, which I though would be better suited to me and I decided to appear there for an interview.
It was exactly after two months at my job and I received my second pay packet on the last working day. Next day was a Saturday, which I had chosen to appear for the interview. I went to the office early on Saturday, dressed in my best. The interviewer happened to be a Keraliate and he immediately liked me. He gave me a small dictation and asked me to type it out, which I did, without much difficulty. The dictation was good, as I could follow the words, without any difficulty as he expressed himself more or less in a manner, which was familiar to me. Then followed the interview, which was routine and at the end, he asked me what I would expect as salary. As I was getting only Rs.100/ in my previous post, I blurted out Rs.200/- a 100 percent jump, which according to me at that time was a good amount. He agreed with it after a brief consultation with his boss, the proprietor of the company, over the intercom, and he asked me to join from next Monday, which I readily agreed.
I had not attended my office that day and I phoned up them saying that I will not be coming to office any more. I also told my Manager about the offer from the new company and he wished me well. As I had received the salary, there was nothing to settle and I enjoyed the Sunday, thinking about my new post and company.
I was very happy to work in the new office, as the work was different. I had to type out the letters, which my boss dictated and this as the days passed, fell into a routine. The letters were more or less similar and I could cope with the workload too.
One time, when my boss went on leave, the company proprietor called me for dictation. He had a funny way of dictation - he never paused while dictating and went on dictating his replies either chewing the paan or smoking the cigar, while sallowing the words in between!
My joy of landing a good job with a reasonable pay was short lived. I received my first pay packet, which exactly contained Rs.200/-, as I had asked for. But next day my boss casually told me that the proprietor was prepared to pay Rs.400/- to who ever he appointed to handle the correspondence. Since I settled for Rs.200/-, he chuckled and said, that I got it.
To this day I cannot forget his mischievous smile when he told me that he could have recommended a higher pay, but I myself was to blame, for the loss!!!
Thursday, April 26, 2007
The Negotiator
Reminiscences by
Edappal
at
1:41 PM
Labels: mumbai memories
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment